People with poor sleeping habits are at a higher risk of suffering from physical and psychological problems, including anxiety, insomnia, and cardiovascular disease. Thus, individuals must prioritize following a healthy lifestyle to enhance their mental and physiological health.
- Sleeping Position: The better sleeping position is the right side, as it helps stabilize the blood pressure and heart rate. People should consciously make an effort to sleep on their right side to reduce the chances of cardiovascular disease, which affects overall health.
- Avoid Distractors: The use of electronic devices, such as phones, television, and laptops, affects sleep time. The blue light from the devices decreases the production of melatonin, which disrupts sleep. Melatonin is the hormone responsible for helping the individual sleep. Therefore, children and adults should avoid using electronic devices for at least two hours before sleeping.
- Identify the Stressors: Anxiety, work stress, and depression affect sleep. Therefore, individuals exhibiting signs of mental health problems must seek professional help to reduce complications. Identifying the cause of poor sleep allows the individual to work on reducing the stressors.
- PMR to Deal with Worry: Worry and stress affect sleep. Individuals who feel they have started to remain lethargic, agitated, and inactive due to lack of sleep should learn PMR. Progressive muscle relaxation helps release tension from the body and allows the individual to remain calm.
- Avoid Napping During the Day: Sleeping during the day can lead to an inability to rest at night. Therefore, people who struggle to sleep early at night should keep themselves busy throughout the day. As soon as the person feels sleepy during the day, it is best to take a walk or divert the attention to increase the chances of sleeping early.
- Maintain a Healthy Sleeping Position: Poor sleeping position causes breathing problems and stiffness. The best sleeping position for better breathing is to lie on the right side and elevate the head by using pillows. Adults who snore and exhibit signs of sleep apnea must sleep on the side to manage the symptoms and reduce correlating complications.
- Maintain a Sleep Diary: Keeping a sleep diary helps monitor the sleeping pattern, time, and satisfaction. It also allows the individual to evaluate the stress levels that may have affected sleep. Thus, individuals who struggle to sleep on time should keep a diary. The conscious effort of managing eight hours of daily sleep improves physical and mental health. Also, quality sleep reduces stress and helps function adequately in every aspect of life.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: People with anxiety and stress work consume caffeine to stay alert. Caffeine causes an increase in heart rate and anxiety. Thus, people must consume oats, rice, and products for dinner. They produce chemicals that increase the desire to sleep. Also, individuals should set a morning time for exercising. The adrenaline production after the exercise cause difficulty in sleeping.
- Monitor the Body Posture: The individual who feels pressure on the arms and legs after sleeping should monitor their sleeping position. Lying on the back is the best sleeping position for better posture. It enables body alignment and reduces pressure from the arms and legs.